Recognizing that strengthening industry creates a vital community, GSDC launched its industrial division in 1995. Designated as a Local Industrial Retention Initiative (LIRI) agency by the City of Chicago, the industrial division responds to industrial business needs and area-wide concerns. As a LIRI agency, our operational costs are covered by specially earmarked tax revenue. This gives us the ability to provide high quality services at no cost to industrial business owners, including:
- One-on-one consulting for strategic business planning that takes advantage of growth opportunities.
- Technical assistance that assesses business needs and provides the right tools for succeeding in a dynamic environment.
- Business workshops that focus on industry regulations and other relevant topics.
- Streamlined access to low-cost industrial financing, bond programs and grants.
- Resources and information from a reliable source that stays current with industry trends.
Greater Southwest Industrial Corridor
The Greater Southwest Industrial Corridor is one of the major employment centers on Chicago’s southwest side. Home to more than 40 companies employing over 4,500 people, the corridor boasts many well-known businesses, including, Tootsie Roll Industries, Solo Cup Company and many others. In addition to its longs history as one of Chicago’s manufacturing hubs, the area also benefits from its designation as a Planned Manufacturing District and Tax Increment Financing District. These factors combine to provide a strategic advantage for manufacturing, warehousing and distribution firms.
Harlem Industrial Corridor
The Harlem Industrial Corridor received designation as a Planned Manufacturing District in 2005. Home to 60 companies employing over 1400 people, the corridor boasts businesses such as Meade Electric and Hayes Mechanical. But the area also boasts another distinction. In 2007, it was the first southwest side corridor awarded status as an Industrial Park Conservation Area Tax Increment Financing District. These designations, reinforced by the area’s demographic and geographic features, are attracting considerable interest from industrial users.
Learn more about our companies.
Have a question? Email Tina James.